Leipzig - Music, Exhibition, Fashion
Johann Sebastian Bach worked for 27 years as choirmaster in Leipzig. But Leipzig has also gained international reputation as commercial metropolis. With the first German exhibition a lively commerce developed. Historical shopping arcades invite to exclusive shopping tours. High-quality restaurants and in-pubs offer sociability and togetherness. Leipzig is a city of many faces.
The Bach Memorial
The New Bach Memorial near the Thomaskirche reminds of the famous Thomas' choirmaster Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750). In Leipzig he wrote his most important works. Today, his grave lies in the sanctuary of the Thomaskirche. His heritage is kept up with the yearly Bach Festival Leipzig and the International Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Competition.
Richard Wagner in Leipzig
The Leipzig Gewandhaus
With the Gewandhaus Orchestra Leipzig owns a world-class orchestra. Its venue is the Gewandhaus at the Augustusplatz - a concert hall built of glass and concrete with excellent acoustics. The most famous Gewandhaus conductor of the past is Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy. The annual Mendelssohn-Festival is dedicated to him.
The Mädler Arcade
Following the model of the Milanese arcade "Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II", the historic arcade hosts 25 retail stores from different sectors. The Auerbachs cellar is the centre of attraction in the basement. Set up in 1525 as a wine inn, later it became a hospitable place for the legendary Dr. Johann Faust as well as the student Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - and therefore is considered to be the birthplace of the Faustian subject matter.
The Völkerschlachtdenkmal (Monument of the Battle of the Nations)
The mighty monument was inaugurated in 1913 in the presence of the German Emperor Wilhelm II and the Saxon King. It is a building of superlatives and with 91 meters in height the biggest Monument in Europe. The mighty cupola is adorned in the upper part by 324 horsemen reliefs. 500 steps lead up to the platform. The monument stands where the main fights of the Battle of the Nations took place.
The Leipziger Messe GmbH - new exhibition grounds
The location of Leipzig alongside the routes of long-distance trade "via imperii" and "via regia" already attracted traders during the 11th century. Since 1497, Leipzig owns the right to hold trade fairs. 1901 the Saxon department store opened as first exhibition hall in the world. After the reunification, the city obtained the present state of the art exhibition and congress centre with a glass dome entrance hall, measuring 20.000 square metres.